Carotenes help tone and protect skin.
Damage from sun exposure
Prolonged exposure of skin to sunlight can produce damage caused by excessive ultraviolet radiation.The types of damage caused by ultraviolet rays (UVA and UVB) include photoaging, inflammation, oxidative stress and increased skin fragility, among other problems.
Oral supplements for sun protection
Certain nutrients taken orally are considered effective for sun protection, as is the case with Vitamins C and E, certain flavonoids and carotenes.When taken orally, vitamins C and E possess antioxidant properties that act synergistically to protect skin from the sun.In this regard, Beta-carotene, as the main component of the carotenoid group, fulfills its antioxidant function against free radicals, and is metabolized by the body and transformed into Vitamin A. Lycopene is a bright red carotenoid pigment found mainly in tomatoes and gives them their color.Evidence exists showing that lycopene enhances the skin’s response to damage caused by ultraviolet radiation.When skin is exposed to the oxidative stress produced by UV radiation, more lycopene is destroyed than beta-carotene, which is indicative of lycopene’s role as a protective agent against oxidative damage.Beta-carotene and lycopene are the main carotenoids present in blood and tissue.
Carotenes are the reddish-yellow liposoluble pigments abundant in certain fruits and vegetables, giving them their characteristic colors.This is why carrots, which are rich in beta-carotene, are orange and the fruit from the bixina orellana, a tropical plant originating from Central America, is orange-red; they contain carotenoids in the form of bixin and norbixin.Carotenes have been used since ancient times as natural food colorings.This particular characteristic of carotenes is taken advantage of today since the accumulation of these plant pigments affects skin color.Carotenes accumulate in the skin through their assimilation into the stratum corneum, which is the outermost layer of the skin, and their diffusion via the capillary network to the dermis and epidermis, which are deeper skin layers.The latter process may have more short-term influence on the fluctuating carotenoid levels in the skin.
Contents per capsule: Beta-carotene .................... 3.6mg
Carrot (Daucus carota L.), extract………............... 160mg
Bixa orellana, fruit extract…………………............. 150mg
Tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum Mill.), extract…. 20mg
Vitamin C………………………………………………. 45mg
Vitamin E…………………………………….………… 10mg
Total content of 480mg capsule
1 CAPSULE DAILY PROVIDES
- 100% RDI of Vitamin A (100% as Beta-carotene)
- 1.0mg de Lycopene
- 100% RDI of Vitamin C
- 100% RDI of Vitamin E
RDI = Recommended Daily Intake
Boxes of 30 capsules, and blister packs with 10 capsules.
1 capsule daily.
This product is not a replacement for topical sunscreens.
Please consult your physician before consuming this product.
Not to be used during pregnancy and nursing. Not to be used by children.
Keep this and all medicines out of reach of children.
Store is a dry place at room temperature.
• The Role of Phytonutrients in Skin Health – Julie A. Evans – Jean Mayer US Department of Agriculture Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University, Boston, USA – 2010.
• You Are What You Eat: Within-Subject Increases in Fruit and Vegetable Consumption Confer Beneficial Skin-Color Changes – Ross D. Whitehead – School of Psychology, Perception Lab, University of St Andrews, St Andrews, Scotland - 2012.
• Tratado de Fitofármacos y Nutracéuticos, Dr. J. Alonso – Pages 37 to 41.
• Anais Brasileiros de Dermatologia, Official publication of the Brazilian Society of Dermatology – Vol 89 Nº 6 Supl. 1 – 2014 – Pages 30 to 36.
• Dietary Carotenoids Contribute to Normal Human Skin Color and UV Photosensitivity – Simon Alauf, Ulrike Heinrich – Institut für Experimentelle Dermatologie, Universität Witten-Herdecke, Witten, Germany – 2002.
Additional information.The contents of this guide are based on information available in the international scientific literature.Reserved for professional use only.Use for advertising purposes is prohibited.Dietary supplement.Supplements insufficient diets. Consult your physician and/or pharmacist.
Carotenes help tone and protect skin.